What is the fiber media converter？
What is the fiber media converter？
Fiber media converters is an indispensable network data transmission equipment, then what is an optical media converter, it has what composition, and what role does it play in the data dissemination process?
Fiber media converters include three basic functional modules: optical media conversion chip, optical signal interface (optical media converter module), and electrical interface (RJ45), if equipped with network management functions, including network management information processing unit. It is an Ethernet transmission Media conversion module that converts short-distance twisted-pair signals and long-distance optical signals to each other and is also called a fiber converter or Ethernet media converter. It generally applies to Ethernet cables that cannot be covered, it is necessary to use optical fiber to extend the actual network environment of transmission distance, and it is usually positioned in the access layer of broadband Metropolitan Area Network, and it also plays an important role in helping to connect the last kilometer of fiber line to the metropolitan area Network.
In some large-scale enterprises, the network construction directly uses fiber for the transmission medium to establish the backbone network, and the internal LAN transmission medium is generally copper, how to achieve LAN connected with the fiber backbone network? This requires different ports, different Linear, different fiber between the conversion and to ensure the quality of the link. The emergence of a fiber-optic media converter, allows the twisted pair of electrical signals and optical signals to each other to ensure the smooth transmission of packets between the two networks while extending the network transmission distance from the copper wire from 100 meters to more than 160 kilometers (Single-mode fiber).
What are the basic features of a fiber media converter?
- Fully transparent to the network protocol.
- Provide ultra-low delay data transmission.
- Supports Ultra wide working temperature range.
- Using ASIC chip to achieve data line speed forwarding. The programmable ASIC centralizes many functions on a chip, which has the advantages of simple design, high reliability, and low power consumption so that the equipment can get higher performance and lower cost.
- Provide network management equipment to diagnose, upgrade, status report, abnormal Situation Report, and control function, can provide complete operation log and alarm log.
- Rack-type equipment can provide hot-swappable functions for easy maintenance and uninterrupted upgrades.
- Supports a variety of transmission distances (0~160 km).
- The Media Converter Rack adopts the dual power supply design, supports the ultra-wide power supply voltage, and realizes the power protection.
What kinds of fiber media converters are available?
A wide range of fiber optic media converters can be categorized in different ways.
- According to the properties of an optical fiber can be divided into a Multimode fiber media converter and a Single-mode fiber media converter. Because of the use of different fiber, the media converter can transmit the distance is not the same, Multimode fiber media converter general transmit distance between 0.5 km to 2 kilometers, and the single mode fiber media converter coverage can range from 20 km to 120 kilometers;
- According to the number of optical fibers required can be divided into Single fiber (WDM) optic media converter, receiving data sent in a single strand fiber transmission; Dual Fiber optic media converter, receiving sent data on a pair of optical fiber transmission.
- According to the work level/rate, can be divided into a single 10M, 100M fiber media converter, 10/100M adaptive Fiber media converter, and 1000M fiber media converter.
- According to the structure, can be divided into desktop (stand-alone) fiber media converter and card-type optical media converter. Stand-alone fiber media converter Suitable for a single user, such as a single switch in the corridor to meet the upper allied. Card-type (modular) optical media converter suitable for multi-user convergence, such as the central room of the community must meet all the switches in the upper allied.
- According to network management can be divided into management type optical media converter and non-network management type Optical media converter.
- According to the power type can be divided into internal power optical media converter, the built-in switching power supply for the telecommunications application; external power supply Optical media converter, and External transformer power is used in civilian equipment. The former advantage lies in the ability to support the ultra-wide power supply voltage, to better achieve voltage regulator, filter, and equipment power protection, and reduce the mechanical contact caused by external fault points; the latter has the advantage that the equipment is small and inexpensive.
- Divided by the way of work: Full-duplex refers to when data is sent and received streaming, by two different transmission lines, respectively, the communication between the two sides can be sent and received at the same time operation, such transmission is the full duplex system, Full-duplex mode without the direction of the switch, therefore, there is no switching operation caused by the time delay; Half-duplex refers to the use of the same transmission line both as a receiving and sending, although the data can be transmitted in two directions, the communication between the two sides can not send and receive data, such transmission is a half-duplex system. In a Half-duplex mode, the transmitter and receiver of each end of the communication system are transferred to the communication line by the receiving/sending switch, and the direction is switched, thus the time delay is generated.